Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hello Movie Star




"Hello Movie Star!" That's what David said to me the other night when I walked in the door from training with Roy and he handed these to me. The flowers were not for any special occasion.


But, today is a special occasion, it is my birthday, I am 51 years old, and some days I really do feel like a movie star.


And others...well we won't talk about those!


I look back and realize that I started my "fitness" journey when I was just turning 40, I wanted to change how I looked, and I sure did. Nothing happened overnight, nothing was easy, I slowly lost some of the fat I wanted to rid myself of, and I just as slowly learned what form of exercise I liked. 


Weights


Weight training can and will transform your body and your mind. Running will too, but you won't have arms like mine! 

It is important to decide what you want your physique to look like, and then train for that. Wanna be straight, lean and skinny looking? Run non stop.

Want solid, firm, feminine muscles? Then lift weights. And don't tell me you are worried about getting "too big and bulky"...Do you know how hard I try to get bigger? It is not easy, not easy at all. You cannot get "big" without massive amounts of proper food and drugs, you do not have the testosterone necessary to do that. 

Sure, I know many people who believe I am way too muscular, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion. (wrong as it may be)

Maybe you want muscles but not as big as mine? Well that should be fairly easy, I am in the gym 7 days a week, and three of those days I am there twice a day. So....maybe you can lift 5 days a week? 3? It will make a difference, I guarantee it.

Nutrition- that is a huge part of this metamorphosis. Proper nutrition, along with learning nutrient timing is key, in fact, I lifted for a very long time and never made it over that hump until I started eating properly. It takes time to become second nature though, it takes years.

I have been lifting now for 10 years, and eating properly for about half that length of time, and I am very happy I have embarked on this, it has become my life, it's part of my everyday routine and always will be. 

I look better than I did at 40, maybe even 30. And I plan to keep lifting and learning for as long as I am able.

Find your passion, you are never too old to start!

11 comments:

  1. Happy, Happy Birthday!! Hope you enjoy your special day. Beautiful flowers, btw, and the arms holding them ain't too shabby either!! :-)

    I'll be 51 in November. Wish I had started way back when you did, but as you point out, it's never too late!!

    HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!
    I agree with everything you said. I am still learning how to eat properly. To me, that is the hardest part.
    Your arms (and everything else) are fabulous. Like you said, some might say too muscular, but you are in an elite group. You don't end up with a body like yours by accident. It shows all the time, sacrifice, hard work and dedication you have put in. It's an adirmable quality, regardless of other's opinions of the amount of muscle you have as a woman. Wouldn't anyone agree that it's better than the alternative? Soft, flabby, average....? Those bodies are a dime a dozen out there.
    I can only dream of looking as good as you when I am 51!
    Cheers to you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Phil- It's NEVER too late! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Charlotte- Oh you made me feel so good! You are right, it doesn't just happen by accident, and so many people think it's easy.... and the nutrition part is really what has made the difference for me, its a long learning process, but one I am happy with and I thrive on. Thanks!!!

    “Dreams are like stars...you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Kristy! You look great and inspire me, I'll be 50 in June. Just wondering, where can I learn more about nutrient timing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saretta- Thank you! Part of nutrient timing is understanding what happens as you ingest different foods, so it's learning about the macro-nutrients and the effects themselves. It's also understanding the changes your body goes through when training. For instance, you always want quick digesting carbs and a lot of them right after lifting. Your body will be primed for carbs, and you provide them, so the body uses them to build. Like a banana and whey is great after training, this is not the proper meal before training. An excellent book is this one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Nutrient-Timing-Future-Sports-Nutrition/dp/1591201411

    I highly recommend it, its not expensive and is written by very knowledgeable scientists and nutritionists who understand we are not scientists so they break it down in easier terms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Kristy! Great job on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robert- Thank you so much! It's been fun to say the least...and rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete