Monday, September 19, 2011

Favorite Healthy Recipe (Fitness Blog World post)

Posted by Picasa

Monday I usually write a motivational blog but I am changing that a bit today. I belong to Fitness Blog World, a group of writers who write about fitness, and once every few weeks we all write about the same thing.

It's a Flash Mob Blog!

Today our topic is: Share your favourite healthy / clean recipe that uses 5 ingredients or less!

I have so many, but this is definitely one of them. 

Salmon wrapped in fig leaves with tomato basil salsa vinaigrette

Salmon fillets, skinned
Heirloom tomatoes
Fresh basil
Shallots
Vinaigrette with olive oil and red wine vinegar (homemade)

I like to BBQ this but it can be baked, poached or pan fried. It is so good at the end of summer when the tomatoes are ripe and juicy and full of tart acid. The fresh basil is found in most gardens and compliments the richness of the salmon.

Prepare the Salsa. finely chop 1/3 cup shallots, 3 large tomatoes and combine. Add chopped, fresh basil, about 1/2 cup (loosely packed). Make a vinaigrette (2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar plus salt and pepper), add this to the tomato and basil salsa. Mix gently and allow to rest while you prepare the salmon.

Salt and pepper the salmon and wrap it in fresh fig leaves. Now I happen to have two fig trees in my backyard, and if you don't, you can cook the salmon any way you like! If you want to grill it, you can place it skin side down on a piece of foil (cut just slightly larger than the fish), cook in a covered grill until done, the skin will stick to the foil! So this way is easy, no skinning needed.

Fig leaves will impart a coconut scent and flavor, try it if you can.

Grill the salmon until it is almost done. It should still be red in the center, barely warmed or it will be over cooked. This will vary depending on the thickness of the fish, but it can be anywhere from 3 to 6 minutes per side. Press on the fish, it will be firm and yield slightly when done.

Plate the salmon, spoon the salsa vinaigrette on top. This can be eaten alone as a low carb meal or you can add additional vegetables or some starch.

Please take some time to visit Fitness Blog World, where you will find 21 writers all sharing their favorite clean recipe using only 5 ingredients. The official post time is Monday at 8:00 pm, so don't fret if you don't see it early in the day!


Happy eating!

11 comments:

  1. That looks like a real keeper. I think I will have to make this soon. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm!I am going to HAVE to try this one. *chomp*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information, it's very useful for me, people must read this article. wait more... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Donloree- It is wonderful, I plan to have it after my competition with potatoes! Yum! Fingerlings steamed then tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and chives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Befitness I do plan to post more food and recipe articles since my competition is over in a week, and I will be cooking and experimenting more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kristy,

    We had this recipe today! I didn't have any fig leaves, however, so I just cooked the salmon en papillote, in the oven. The salsa on top was slightly modified as well in that I used cebes de figueres (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figueres_onion)instead of shallots. I served it with a Japanese rice-and-sweet-potatoe dish and we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dude,

    I am glad you enjoyed it! It is one of our favorites for sure. But basil is not in season now so we need to wait until summer again. I looked up your onions, they look like small brown onions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're actually medium-sized red/purple onions! But they have a very mild taste: they're good raw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a great blog
    thanks,
    mytophealthyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @myhealthyrecipes- Thanks I am so glad you are enjoying it! I have a great time writing and sharing!

    ReplyDelete