Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shirataki Pasta


This post was written several weeks back, and I would get all excited about something else so this just kept getting kicked to the back burner. This was before I was in competition prep mode, so no, I wouldn't eat this now, but when not prepping for a competition, it's perfect!

It was  hot, hot, hot! I had to cook my chicken for the next couple weeks so David decided to BBQ it all for me. It was time for meal #4 and I was thinking about a big plate of pasta.

I don't eat pasta very often, the calories are crazy and the carbs even worse, so I turned to my favorite: Tofu Shirataki!

No doubt you have heard of this wonder, but in case you haven't I will fill you in.

Ingredients:Water, tofu, yam flour, calcium hydroxide (slaked lime). I eat one entire bag myself although they say one bag serves two. The nutrition is as follows (one entire bag):

40 calories
6 grams carbs
2 grams protein
4 grams fiber

I decided to cook the pasta and mix it with 4 ounces of cubed chicken breast, 1 cup sliced and cooked mushrooms and pasta sauce.



I wouldn't typically use a jarred sauce but David and Cooper had found this one and there was a little left, they said they really liked it and even they don't use jarred ingredients often. I decided to use it all up.

This is quite tasty (not cheap) and it has the following ingredients:

Tomato puree, San Marzano tomatoes, imported olive oil, fresh onions, sugar, salt, garlic, dehydrated garlic, crushed red pepper seeds and spices.

1/2 cup is what I used and the nutrition is:

80 calories
11 grams carbs
2 grams protein
3 grams fiber

I added a half cup water to increase the sauce without adding any calories, it was fine actually as I find jarred ingredients rather strong.

Grand total:

Calories 292
Carbs 25 grams
Protein 35 grams
Fiber 7 grams
A healthier version would be plain crushed tomatoes, but I haven't started "THE DIET" yet....

This is what I was doing when the pasta craving came over me. I BBQ'd about 8 pounds of chicken breast with chile, Mrs. dash and red pepper flakes. I then cut it all up in chunks. I was staring at and fondling a lot of chicken!



I then weighed it all out into plastic bags (some into containers) weighing 4 ounces each and I will freeze it for meals coming up. When not prepping for a competition, I might grab a bag if we go out to eat. Cooper loves ramen so if I go with him I will quietly add my chicken to the ramen, so I get my lean protein and don't have to eat that fatty slice of pork.



I made my lunches for the next day. I am on vacation, but we are having some last minute changes at work so I offered to stop in for a few hours on my first day of vacation. I can't stay long as I need to devote the morning to my German Volume Training and cardio, then I have a dental appointment at 2:00.

Lunch #1 (meal #3) will be 3 ounces quinoa, 4 ounces chicken breast and 1 cup of grilled zucchini.


Lunch #2 (meal #4) will be 5 ounces left over grilled wild salmon, 3 ounces quinoa and 1 cup asparagus. Lemon will be squeezed all over.



That's regular food for me, pretty much year round, so when I start "THE DIET" it really isn't too bad. I will not eat anything from a jar, and higher calorie proteins such as beef and salmon will be eaten less often. And I won't get any shirataki, but that's OK, I can have some afterward.

Posted by Picasa
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment