Friday, July 8, 2011

Chilled Carrot Soup with Garden Herbs



I receive a CSA delivery each week, and for the last few weeks it has had an abundance of carrots. What to do when it's 100 degrees outside and you have lots of carrots?

Soup, chilled soup!

This is not on a competition diet- but it is a wonderfully healthy and tasty soup if you aren't prepping.

I found it on Epicurious,  Serves 6

This lovely summer soup has a rich, smooth texture even though it contains no cream. 




6 tablespoons olive oil
5 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon golden brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups canned chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
Chopped fresh chives


Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onions and sauté 4 minutes. Add thyme, brown sugar and nutmeg; sauté until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. 

Add chicken broth. Cover pot; simmer until carrots are very soft, about 25 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to processor. Add 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Puree vegetables until smooth. Return puree to pot.

Stir in orange juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Sprinkle with chives.

I have a hand held immersion blender and I just stuck it into the pot and pureed it that way, it worked fine! I caution you, if you do not have whole nutmegs that you grate yourself just prior to use, I suggest you cut the nutmeg in half as it can be very overpowering.



7 comments:

  1. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, another recipe! I shall make it, I shall make it! I am getting tired of ajoblanco and gazpacho only...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish! Cooked carrots are high on the glycemic index, aren't they? Is that why you wouldn't use them in a prep diet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its not just that carrots are high on the glycemic index (but that is a factor), it is also the added sugar, orange juice and olive oil. When prepping I would not use ANY sugar, NO fruit especially juice and any oils need to be very carefully measured and accounted for. But right now it's great and super healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Kind of looks like Leia's carrot baby food--not a bad thing. :) I actually made a soup from the recent M&F Hers (the one with beans and chicken). I was thinking of doing the one with the sweet potato this weekend. I'll have to try this too. My parents are flying in tomorrow and they like it when I cook. Lol. I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it! And it was delicious. Carlos says he makes something very similar, but with butter instead of olive oil. I told him just to be grateful that you even included a recipe with SIX TABLESPOONS of olive oil, and that you don't even let the shadow of butter cross your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha HA thats great! I think I might like it with sage instead of thyme also. And olive oil is good for you so use it instead of butter! Especially there is Spain, you have some great tasting olive oils!

    ReplyDelete