Sunday, June 5, 2011

Senior Citizen



Yes, me.

My husband always says I have a "skewed body image" and he is probably right. I never think I am hard enough, muscular enough, slim enough, tight enough, I can go on and on and on.

I think that I am a bit obsessed with my body and that may be why I work so hard at staying fit. I don't think it should matter why a person chooses to do it, who is to say that the pursuit of health is more noble than the pursuit of looking good naked?

As long as you are pursuing something with a passion, I think you deserve credit.

Now back to my skewed self image. I do honestly think I look great- especially for my age. I don't think I look 50.

But the other day I was slapped in the face with my age and I was quite stunned!

In the picture above I had just returned from the grocery store. I had on some "active wear" pants (fancy name for man made material sweats that hug your butt and cost a fortune) and a t-shirt from Tilly's- my favorite t's and they are $7.99.

I ran into the grocery store (not my usual one) and bought some things. The clerk looked up as he was near the end of my groceries and he looked me right in the eye. I thought he was, you know, "looking me in the eye" and then I see it!

On the screen that displays the price of the groceries pops up this:

Senior discount -$2.84

Oh my god!! He thinks I am a senior citizen! I was horrified.

Ok, so now I really am questioning how skewed my self image may be because I was strutting around feeling about 25 or so, and now I walk out feeling 65.

As you can see in the picture above, I recovered from my shock by the time I got home and I was laughing about the whole thing.

But, I keep thinking about my own image of myself and then what others see. I think I am not as fit as I should be, yet people comment on it all the time, complete strangers ask me about it.

I think I look really young, yet a clerk thinks I am a senior citizen.

I guess it really is true, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

Thank goodness I see beauty all around me.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. LOL. 65?! You know, maybe he thought you were a total babe and wanted to give you a friendly discount because of it. But perhaps the only kind of discount on the reg was a "senior" discount so he had to use it. How old was he? Because a lot of guys my age and younger are horrible with guestimating age--seriously. Either way, if you were 65, you'd be the hottest 65 year old evvvvver! ;)

    ReplyDelete