Friday, June 10, 2011

Bicep Training







Arms, I just love a strong pair of arms. I have started working on mine again, they just seem to have lost their size, and I think I just didn't give them the attention they needed for a while.


I hate the skinny look....(this picture was taken Saturday morning after training back and biceps- about 2 hours post workout). I have started to concentrate more on them when I train.


I have been following Charles Poliquin and have been introducing his methods into my daily routine. When I searched for a new trainer, I looked for one specifically trained in Poliquins methods, and I am lucky to have found Roy so close to my home.


So many people think you need to have fancy equipment, know fancy moves or have special "as seen on TV" gadgets. I rarely use any machines, and I detest group training- I am a free weight gal. I can do a lot with some dumbbells and barbells.


What does my back and bicep training consist of these days? Chin ups, lots of them. Enough to make you want to retch. Dips, that hits the back, biceps, triceps, lats and even chest a bit. Over and over, even I start to hate it.


I do e-z bar curls, off set grip curls, single arm rows (heavy, 50 pounds!).  I do low rows, very slowly, heavy weight.  


I have found that using a stopwatch and timing the "time under tension" which I aim for 30 to 40 seconds per set depending on bodypart being trained, and then a 60 to 90 second rest period between sets has resulted in a much better workout. I am concentrating on the lifting, maintaining the correct tempo, and resting only enough as necessary.


Try it. For the smaller muscle groups I am hitting about 30 seconds, the larger, 40. The rest periods correspond, 60 seconds for the 30 second sets and 90 seconds for the 40 second sets.


I guarantee you will walk away feeling much more accomplished and you will have focused better. I think my arms speak for themselves.


Take a look at Charles and his "trainee" below. (email subscribers will need to navigate to the blog to view the video below.)


2 comments:

  1. awesome! I chuckled once when he was showing hand grip changes but only because dude's hands were so big that it looked like only a cm change in grip--but of course I totally understand it. Quite helpful. Seems like most in the gym do only the basic variations like preacher, hammer, ez bar....without the small variations. Thank you for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I love this guy! He's huge! But it is totally true, just a small change makes a BIG difference!

    ReplyDelete