Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spiced Oatmeal





Some of the most wonderful things in the world are discovered by mistake. I made one the other day and loved the results, I have now made it a regular part of my morning.


When I lift in the morning I have a meal replacement shake and a small serving of cooked oatmeal (1/3 cup dry measure) before I go to the gym. That's a lot of carbs, some slow digesting (oatmeal) and some quick (the meal replacement drink). Combined with the protein it's what I need to fuel my body after a long night of fasting (sleeping).


I have my oatmeal cooked and weighed out already, so I just add a bit more water to loosen it up and then microwave it to warm it.


I get up at 4:00 a.m. though, so sometimes I am not quite awake as I do all this. I like to get my shake and oatmeal, and sit at the computer and check email, Facebook, make sure my blog fed properly, and eat and wake up.


Saturday I heated my oatmeal and started to sprinkle in the cinnamon (my sprinkles tend to be more like pours). As I looked at it I noticed that my cinnamon was a lot darker than usual. Damn! I used chili powder!


The containers look the same! I buy both spices in bulk because I use so much, but store them in small store bought spice containers for ease.


I took a spoon and managed to remove most of it, but didn't want to lose too much of the oatmeal so I figured once I added the real cinnamon and the sweetener it would be OK.


OK? It was fantastic! The sweetness and spiciness together are a match made in heaven! Have you ever had chocolate with chile? It's the same premise, the richness, spiciness and sweetness all combine to make a spectacular burst of flavors in your mouth.


Sunday, I am making the same thing! Give it a try, you will be pleasantly surprised.