Saturday, March 31, 2012

10:00 a.m. Meal




I eat this meal at 10:00 am, and I consider it my lunch. I suppose it is my favorite meal of the day!  That’s most likely because it is the biggest meal of the day and I love to eat!

10:00 a.m. is 4 ounces starch, 4 ounces lean protein, 1 cup vegetable. For my protein I usually have turkey breast (or tenderloin), or chicken breast, and on occasion I have beef. I really enjoy beef, very, very much! Yes, this is diet food.

The cut I have here is an eye of round roast, and I have the butcher slice it in ½ inch thick slices. I then sear them in a very hot cast iron pan for one to two minutes a side and then add salt and pepper and they are done. 

Eye of Round may not be the tastiest, or the most tender, but it is the leanest. Yes indeed, I don't care what you all think- it is! The Mayo Clinic discusses the leanest cuts here and Eye of Round is number !!

Actually it's not bad and David has been known to sneak my beef too. It cooks super fast and when you are hungry- that's important.

I like yams, sweet potatoes, brown rice, or Soo Foo for my starch. The rice I really like is a short grain brown rice I buy in bulk at Whole Foods called Brown Kashirkari Rice. 

Then one cup of green vegetable, usually it's broccoli but might be asparagus, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower, or Brussels Sprouts, but it's something steamed.

I like to pour fat free balsamic vinaigrette over it (homemade), it sounds odd but the mustard and balsamic are tasty on the rice. 

Today (Friday) was a state holiday so my schedule was a little off and I had this at 9:30 a.m, but I can eat this at any time of day!

I hit the gym at 5:00 a.m. (opening) and did calves, abs and stairmill. I also had time so I threw in some jump rope and plyo step ups, then off to the grocery store. I had to eat before training, I never miss a meal. I think the number one reason why most women don't develop the physique they dream of is underfeeding. They starve themselves, or try to get lean on lettuce and carrot sticks.

I ate at 9:30 instead of 10 because I was training with Roy at 11:00, I need to eat an hour before lifting and I had to get to a new Farmers Market first. Eating a half hour early isn't going to mess my body up, and I just adjust all meals afterward accordingly.

This is my second and last meal with starches, so I savor it. 

As I was lifting later, and talking with Roy in between sets, he is making notes on his clipboard (he always makes notes, I should look one day to see what he writes). I told him I finished my reps strong because I had beef again for lunch! He scribbles on his clipboard. I figured he wrote that down.

Nope. Later he told me he wrote down "after long rest talking for 5 minutes, Kristy was able to complete all reps in set."

smartass.




2 comments:

  1. You're funny, Kristy!

    Hey, I thought green beans were a starchy vegetable? At least, I have written down that the "judía perona", which is very common here, should be considered a starch. I'm not sure if they're eaten in the States, but they might be called "helda beans". Or you can do an image search for "judía perona" and see for yourself. What do you think, starch or not?

    I wish I could find a lean-meat guide like that for Spain. You know, the way they cut the animal up is different, so it's hard to find equivalents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are called (here) Romano Beans! i LOVE Romano Beans! Steamed, they are delish, and I love vinaigrette on them. They seem starchy but, I don't think so, now Green Peas are definitely a starch....I think that you would be fine eating Judias Peronas along with a starch!

    ReplyDelete