Saturday, March 10, 2012

Keeping Occupied on the Diet


My dinner, well it's not at a time when dinner is for normal people, it is my 4:00 meal. "Butt loads" of spinach (the technical term would be 3 cups), shrimp, a very small amount of cucumber, balsamic vinegar and 1 TEASPOON of olive oil.

Water, glutamine and supplements.

I won't buy these little shrimps again- Whole Foods had them on sale "large peel 'n eat shrimp"....large by whose standards? They were rather tiny by the time I warmed them. I like the BIG HUGE ones, they are like small lobsters, and well worth the price.


The boys are gone so I am reading one of my cooking magazines and bookmarking all of the wonderful things I will eat when the diet is over. It's a masochistic game I seem to play every time I am on a diet. Most people dieting don't want to go anywhere near pictures of fine foods, but this is my favorite time. I thinks it's a way of testing my own resolve and determination.

I never seem to have time to read my magazines, at least not until I am on a diet. Odd isn't it? 


I am not joking when I say I get almost every gourmet cooking magazine published. See the stack in my living room? I have a lot to read in the next 8 weeks don't I? So for the next few months I will go through all my magazines, mark the recipes that sound good and show them to David and Cooper. The promise of great food also helps them through my diet, since I don't cook for them during my diet as much as I normally do.


Virginia stopped by the other day "Oh boy you sure have a lot of magazines!" she said. Actually the hobby of looking at the foods and plotting what I will make really does help me, it's a carrot dangling at the end of a rope and the rope is just out of reach. I know that eventually it will all be mine for the taking. I think you see this same behavior in most competitors, perhaps the execution is a bit different, they dream of the pancakes, the waffles, the chips. I am not a pancake, waffle or chip gal. I am a braised lamb shank with fingerlings gal, or a spiced beef and crisp salad gal, I am a perfectly roasted chicken gal (and yes I like the skin).

I dream, and I imagine and in the end, I make some of my dreams, not all, but some of them come true.






This is what I was reading as I enjoyed my salad. And what did I find that I plan to make in 8 weeks?


Chicken Alambre

Keema Beef Curry

Curried Cauliflower Soup with Coconut and Chilies

Roasted Cornish Hens with Morels and Leeks

Poached Scrambled Eggs with Goat Cheese Sauce

Can you tell I enjoy full flavored foods? And if anyone makes any of these dishes, please let me know what you think, I woud love to hear how they turned out!





4 comments:

  1. But will you really make the chicken alambre with bacon and chorizo? Or baconless and with your famous turkey chorizo?

    The keema beef looks good as is! I know you like your curry powder!

    As far as the last recipe goes, do you think that method of cooking the eggs will work if it is only whites? And how is goat cheese on fat content?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek- I will make all of these exactly as they are supposed to be made! I promise!

    I do love curry!

    I will make the eggs whole not with just egg whites. I don't think that goat cheese is any more low fat than any other cheese....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love curry too(I just pinned both the curry recipes you shared-thank-you)! I find I am doing the same thing. Searching recipes. Just bought two of my fav magazines the other day (woman who cook) and am drooling over recipes I am going to make after the comp. I have been baking too! Shipping out though ;-)
    Love your blog btw. Been following it for a few months as I train for my first figure competion! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jillian, Congratulations on the your decision! It's odd isn't it? I mean looking and reading and searching for food when you cannot eat it! The other day I bought three kinds of ice cream and a gelato and my husband says "What is all this for?!" I told him I was on a diet! ha ha ha. So he gets all sorts of good stuff! I do haver to start pinning more, Ii always forget and it is such a great way to save recipes, especially for the visual aspect. I would love to hear how the food is- so whichever of us makes it first needs to report back. Good luck on your competition.

    ReplyDelete