Thursday, May 13, 2010

Do you exercise with high heels on?


Most of the the folks at my gym are a fairly conservative bunch, and I am sure many of them think I am nuts or just a little off kilter.

I do practice my posing there and I do wear my required 5 inch heels. I am actually fairly nervous every time I step on stage, even though I have done it several times. I guess it's something about standing almost naked in front of a couple thousand people, and they are judging your body!

Then you are required to stand there, very tight and flexed, and the shoes are pretty much as close to torture as you can get, especially when you have been standing in them all day long.

My husband calls it a "Beauty pageant with muscles"

Practicing posing while people wander by staring helps me feel more comfortable. The other day a very, very old man came up to me and said "Excuse me, but can you tell me why you exercise with high heels on?"

He was so sincere and I almost laughed in his face...but I didn't, I just explained what I was doing and he commented that it looked very nice and he hobbled away.

Posing is definitely not natural, you need to suck everything in (no matter how slim you are), pull up tall, spread your lats wide, make your shoulders look round, stick your rear end out by creating a painful arch in your back, and SMILE the entire time, while hoping the glue that is holding your itty bitty suit on doesn't melt off in the hot lights. Oh and you are supposed to look like you are having fun too.

And I do this for fun???? You betcha!

And you know why? Because I CAN, that's why...I can stand up there and hold my own against women half my age, and I am darn proud of that.

Here is a little video of my morning posing at the gym.

1 comment: