Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fast Fish Soup

Well I suppose that is not proper English, the fish isn't fast, it is a quick soup to make, how's that?

I love soup, and when you are trying to eat a low calorie or low carbohydrate (starch) meal, soup is just the ticket.

I almost always have tilapia in the freezer, my friend Virginia gets it at Costco for me, I am not a member. I sometimes get it at Safeway or Whole Foods, but rarely buy it anywhere else. Both Safeway and Whole Foods (along with Costo) sell the right kind of tilapia. Yes, Safeway does indeed!

I will not buy tilapia from China or Taiwan, and all frozen tilapia is from one of these places. I have written extensively about the reasons, so you can search back and read, but basically their methods are not safe as far as contaminates in the water and feed.

If you are concerned about what you put in your body, then you should only buy tilapia from the US or South America.

I know many people, mostly competitors (because who else eats tilapia?) who buy frozen tilapia and frozen hockey puck chicken, they do it because it's cheap and convenient.

You need to decide what is more important to you: cheap and convenient or pure and healthy? Make the choice, be open about it and then live with it.

I digress.

I wanted soup, I was home alone, so in the morning before work, I had taken a pre-measured package of tilapia out of the freezer (that I received fresh then subsequently froze), it was thawed and ready to go.

I heated a skillet, sprinkled the fish with plenty of Spanish paprika, and quickly cooked it.


I then took 2 cups of homemade chicken stock out of the freezer (I always have it) and added vegetables that I had in the fridge that have been cooked for my lunches.


I added chard, kale, asparagus, and then a nice spoon of Thai Red Curry Paste! Yum!

After that was heated, I poured it over the fish I had laid in the bowl.

On the top? A few splashes of Sriracha sauce, so hot and tasty.



It took me about 15 minutes, start to finish and I ate (and loved) the whole thing!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment