Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kelp, Carrot and Halibut Stew


It sounds horrible but it is so amazing, I absolutely love it. It has everything you want and need and can be changed to suit your tastes.

Main Ingredients:

red onion, garlic, vegetable broth, quinoa, carrot, cashews, dried kelp, halibut

This is on any diet, so nutritious and tasty. It comes from one of my favorite cookbooks called:

Gourmet Nutrition
The cookbook for the fit food lover
Dr. John M. Berardi, Michael Williams & Kristina Andrew

The book has recipes for all types of meals and provides the nutritional breakdown on each, along with different proportions and tells you if it is a meal you can eat anytime or if it is best suited for a post workout meal. You know exactly how many grams of protein, carbs, fats, sugars and calories you are getting. There are even dessert recipes. I highly recommend it.

I added kale to it today because I love the texture of kale, I use different fish depending on what looks good that day. I typically make a whole recipe (without the fish), divide it into servings, place into ziplock bags and freeze it until I want stew. Then I take one bag out, warm the stew, saute the fish, add it in and I am ready to sit down to a huge bowl of great stew.

12 comments:

  1. It doesn't sound horrible at all! In fact, I would love to try and make it right away. Can you please give the cooking instructions? And what kind of kelp do you use? Here at home I've got wakame and kombu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use kombu, I will get the recipe for you and post it in the next few days

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK! I look forward to it. I've got the kombu and the quinoa already waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got home late last night and didn't have time, i can scan it and send it off via email to you, Dad wants it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me, Kristy. This cookbook, would it be easy for me to find all the ingredients that show up in it? If so, I am thinking of perhaps asking KK to get it for me and bring it when she comes. But I tried to peek inside the book on Amazon or something and couldn't find any that offered an inside view. You know, I ask because sometimes those cookbooks ask for funny ingredients that are not at all easy to get here. But it seems like it's a book that focuses on natural ingredients, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will take a good look through it later and let you know. I believe that most of the ingredients are quite easy to come by as it does focus on whole, natural foods just as you say.

    It must be ordered online, I could not find it in a bookstore when i bought it. Do you remember, I brought it to France when I visited, we made the Healthy Ceasar Salad recipe from it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! Please do look through it and let me know. If indeed the igredients are things you think I can find easily here, then maybe I would order it online and have it sent to Kk's place, that would work out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Derek, I think tho oddest ingredients in the book (at least to purchase in Spain) were pineapple and BBQ sauce. The rest is plain, whole foods, fish, fruits, grains and lot's of herbs and spices.

    You can always try ebay or amazon too, and get a used one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pineapples are certainly available here, and BBQ sauce as well -- just not fat-free BBQ sauce! OK, then I shall look for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this stew last night. I loved it as well. Even Carlos liked it, and I was worried about him because he can be a bit finnicky about anything that is new or different. But he even liked the kombu! I used hake because it is not easy to find halibut here. Sole would be the closest thing there is to halibut, but sole is such a flat fish... But I guess pretty much any white fish would be possible here, no?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I never get tired of this. You can use any mild fish, I woud stay away from anything oily. I don't usually use halibut as it is so expensive, I use cod, and I know you can get that there, maybe that is Hake?

    I also love the chewy texture of the kombu...

    I am glad Carlos enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, cod and hake are different, but it is good to know that you can use cod as well because it is also extremely common here, and cheap!

    ReplyDelete