Saturday, May 26, 2012

Julian Bakery Carb Zero Bread




''

I am forever looking for healthy and tasty foods, ones that allow me to enjoy the "normal" foods more often and still not feel guilty or worry about my calories and starches too much.

I read about the Julian Bakery breads several weeks ago and was interested in their new "carb zero" bread that was to be released soon. 

There is only one store within 10 miles of me that carries their products, the rest are over the hill in Santa Cruz or up the peninsula towards Palo Alto. I called New Leaf Market and asked if they could let me know when the carb zero bread arrived.

They called me on Thursday and said it arrived, they would hold one regular and one cinnamon for me, I would drive out there after my noontime training with Roy. I told him I would get a loaf for him, and when we finished I zoomed out there only to find that every single loaf they received had been sold (except my two and one last cinnamon)!!!

I bought a cinnamon for Roy and swung back by BodyComp and dropped it off fo him, he was training Stacy. I also got the name and cell phone number of the fellow I can call to make sure they hold more for me if I want it!

I love sandwiches. Love them!! Scrambled egg are my favorite, or tuna with sprouts. Maybe rare beef....or chicken salad, I love them all. I rarely eat them though as bread is a simple carb and full of starch that I don't need and basically a dieters nightmare. 

Until now

If you are anything like me, you feel so much guilt when you eat a sandwich that it taakes away most of the pleasure. It ruins it. You should be eating a "complex carb" right?

This bread allows me to have a sandwich and 
enjoy 
every
single 
bite
This is my egg white sandwich with a bit of low fat mayo, mustard, salt, pepper and romaine lettuce. 

yum!


I made this when I got home and immediately texted Roy. It was good. Really good!

Each slice has the following nutritional breakdown:

59 calories
2.5 grams fat
9 grams carbohydrate
9 grams fiber
(this means it nets out to zero carbohydrates!!!)
0 sugar
9 grams protein!!!

It's all organic, gluten free and well.....great!

So even without my egg inside I had 18 grams of protein! 

It's not like sliced sourdough, nor is it like fine wheat bread. BUT! The nutritional break down is great- it allows me to eat something I love and not feel guilty and get the macros I want.

I also bought some of their carb #1 (1 gram net carb) bread and will let you know later how that is!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great review on our new Carb Zero bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for the great bread! Wish I didn't have to drive so far to get it though!

      Delete
  2. That looks super yummy!!!
    Unfortunately, I don't live close enough!!! BUM!

    But, I did find this P28 High Protein Bread that is good.
    www.highproteinbread.com

    I wish I did live closer to you..... I'd love to hit one of the Bath Houses!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found the julian website!!! I am going to order some!!!
    Thanks Kristy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neicebug- have seen the P28 bread, but avoided it as the first ingredient was wheat....and although it is high in protein, each slice is 130 calories....so two slices is almost an entire meal for me...i am curious how you like this though so let me know once you try it please!

      Delete
  4. I tried this bread yesterday because I love their Smart Carb 1 net carb bread. The Zero Carb bread is disgusting. I literally threw away an $8 loaf of bread because it was so bad. It stank and it wouldn't even toast like bread. I think even calling it bread is charitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous: That's unfortunate. I hate it when i look forward to something and am disappointed! It has an eggy texture but I love eggs.. I just tried the Smart Carb and love it, the texture is great and my husband has been eating all of it too.

      Delete
  5. I just tried their paleo bread coconut this bread smells like armpit and tastes like SHIT. This was awful
    .DEAR GOD. One of the top 3 worst days of my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet. But congratulations, if eating some bread that tastes awful was one of the top three worst days of your life, you've had a good life!

      Delete
  6. Hello,

    My brother bought this bread today. And seeing as we're trying to go paleo I tried this. There is no way to make this bread edible. It won't toast, warm correctly, it's the worst thing I've ever eaten ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, Well my sandwich above is slightly toasted, but I HATE dark toasted bread. The reason why it won;t toast "properly" is that it isn't bread made from wheat. If you are expecting it to taste like regular bread you will be disappointed. i think you need to look at it realistically. Its a vehicle to enjoy a sandwich and fill you up, it's not bread.

      Delete
  7. thank god i am not insane! i have bought julian bread for a number of years and had no idea they were mucking around with new recipes and ruining their product until i unknowingly bought smart carb #1 sandwich bread and tried to eat it. rubbery. gross aftertaste. 8 DOLLARS. can i say that
    again . 8 DOLLARS. i took it back to the store and left it on the counter. do with it what you will.
    but please...do not feed it to the birds or anything living.

    ReplyDelete