Sunday, May 13, 2012

German Volume Training



German Volume Training, three words I love to hate! I was first introduced to it by SC, then  it seems to be a love of Roy's also. I love it and I hate it. The love wins though....

Roy changes my program continuously, you need to if you want to progress. People look the same because they do the same thing over and over again, for years. Remember the definition of Insanity from Albert Einstein:

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

We started GVT again. This is where you do 10 sets of 10 reps, with only 90 seconds rest in between each set. It's easy at the start, and brutal at the end. No one does this one their own, except lunatics (yours truly).

Here is a bit of information from Bodybuilding.com:

Terms You'll Need To Know

Rest Intervals: When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue. (Interestingly enough, you might find you get stronger again during the eighth and ninth sets. This is because of a short-term neural adaptation.) Because of the importance of the rest intervals, you should use a stopwatch to keep the rest intervals constant. This is important, as it becomes tempting to lengthen the rest time as you fatigue.

Tempo: For long-range movements such as squats, dips and chins, use a 4-0-2 tempo; this means you would lower the weight in four seconds and immediately change direction and lift for two seconds. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 3-0-2 tempo.

Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out; squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 10-20 reps.

Training Frequency: Because this is such an intense program, it'll take you longer to recover. In fact, if you're familiar with the writings of Peter Sisco and John Little, you'll find that the average "Power Factor Rating" of the 10-sets method is about 8 billion. Consequently, one training session every four to five days per body part is plenty.

Overload Mechanism: Once you're able to do 10 sets of 10 with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by 4-to-5%, and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives or burns. The volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolonging techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping.

Wednesday Roy and I did squats at 110 pounds, Friday barbell shoulder press at 70 pounds, Saturday I was to repeat squats on my own, and my legs were still very, very sore.

I went out with the boys on Friday, and I had wine...but not too much, I still have to get up at 5:00 am and train. Here they are in the big warehouse, the rest of the place was packed! 



David and I had seared Foie Gras, we will be enjoying it again later in the week, it was stunning. I ate half before I took the picture here!


I met Steve at Gold's at 6:00 am and we discussed when we would meet for some posing lessons. Steve is a bodybuilder and I think he should be able to help me learn the mandatory poses. We went upstairs to look at the board, to find a time when the big room with mirrors is open, we picked 2:00pm on Friday afternoon. 


I went down to one of the cages, all of them were open and I would start my GVT. I had forgotten my binder and stopwatch. Dammit! Of all the days, I need my stopwatch! Then I remembered my gymboss, and went upstairs to my locker and got it. It wasn't as convenient but worked just fine.





110 pounds. Roy said I need to do the same weight twice and we move up next week. I put my plates on the ground to elevate my heels, I would need to squat all the way down and need this to make sure I do.


10 sets of 10 squats, 90 seconds rest. I was sweating, my feet were not even moving and sweat was trickling down my back and my face.





I sit in between sets, 90 seconds rest is not long and I need to savor every second I can.


I had to get a piece of paper and pen from the front desk to keep track of sets, I made a hash mark for each one, then stumbled back and sat the rest of my 90 seconds. I tried to concentrate and make sure I lowered very slowly, and didn't drop at the end, I want as much tension for as long as possible on my quads.



 I finished! I felt exhilarated! On my own, no one pushing me, I was pushing myself. I then needed to finish up and decided to try this contraption, it's like a sissy squat sort of. I lock my feet in and face the ladder, then lower all the way down, using only body weight, and then back up. 



Front view, I never used the ladder. I am not sure if this is effective, but I really didn't need much after the GVT anyway. Four sets of 10, I moved on to the leg extension and did five sets of 10 with 90 pounds. 


I was pretty surprised that I finished, I mean if you have ever done GVT, even with a trainer pushing you it's hard to finish, and I had no one, no one but some militant crazed woman, by the name of Kristy pushing me harder than anyone ever has before. 



No comments:

Post a Comment