Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back and Biceps with Alicia

I went to spend some time with my father in law, but that didn't stop me from hitting the gym!

There is a woman who lives across the street from him, Alicia. We met at Christmas when I was there. Alicia started reading my blog, we became friends and I gave her some diet and training help, all over email and face book.

She has lost 6 pounds since January, all on her own! That's great!

When Alicia heard I was coming she got a day pass at her gym, we would meet Friday at 5:00 a.m and it was back and biceps day for me, so that's what we planned to attack.

The parking lot at the gym was surprisingly full so early. Alicia explained she usually goes to the women's section. I told her I had never heard of a gym that had a separate men's and women's section.

She explained that they don't really have separate sections, but that the men train in one area and the women in another. She then looked at me and said "I think we are probably going to the men's section though today?" "Yes! you bet we are!" I replied.

She smiled, she was up for the challenge.

Turns out the "men's section" is the free weights, and she was right, we were the only women there.  Actually at one point I think a woman came in for a couple minutes, but she wasn't there long, maybe it was the novelty of me, the half naked woman training in the gym.

A couple times men offered to move elsewhere, so we could do what we want, I think Alicia was a bit surprised. So many women are intimidated in the free weight section, not only because they may not feel they know how to perform the exercises, but because of the men. I have only ever had good experiences and have become friends with the men in my gym, in fact I think I intimidate most of them!

I had a great time, It was fun to help someone else and try to explain the reasons for doing things a certain way, what muscle to feel being worked, how to avoid engaging those traps....

So what did we do? All exercises were performed at a maximum weight allowable to continue through 10 reps with good form.

Lat pull down, wide grip 3x10
Lat pull down triangle or narrow grip 2x10
Barbell bent over row 3x10 superset with
chins 3x5 (assisted if necessary, work to unassisted and then up to 10)
Low cable row wide grip 3x10
Low cable row triangle grip 2x10
EZ bar biceps curl 3x10
1 arm dumbbell row 3x10
Incline dumbbell biceps curls
Face Pulls 3x10
Iso Back Row (hammer strength) 3x10 each
Back Extensions 3x10


This evening a little birdie told me that Alicia was going back to the gym the next day - and to the men's section!  You go girl!

Tomorrow? I meet Maria and it is leg day!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome how much you are willing to help everyone out. Just reading your posts from the past, I can tell you have a huge heart. Thank you so much for being the wonderful, caring person you are!
    . . . .

    LOL. Sounds like my gym. I'm always in the "man cave" which is three squat/power racks in the back of the gym. There's a camera watching over the area with the monitor at the front desk. The guys (my dad's age) told me I'm one of two women who actually go back there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sakura, I am passionate about educating people to feel empowered and capable, especially women who should be strong and not weak! I love the gym, I love being healthy, I love feeling alive!

    I am one of the few women who use the squat racks too, in fact once there was a guy in there when I waked in, and another guy said "Did you ask her if you could use that?" ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete