Monday, March 21, 2011

Good Morning Mr. Bonds

Barry Lamar Bonds that is. Yes, Mr.home run himself.

We are forgoing the usual Monday Morning Motivation because today is the first day of the Barry Bonds trial, and I have to write about it!

I am fascinated by steroids and athletes. I am also fascinated by the Mafia and religious sects, but that doesn't mean I am going to take steroids, marry a mobster or join a cult!

My interest lies mainly in the fact that we hold these people in such high regard, yet they are frauds and cheats. These are our "hero's" yet they have done nothing heroic.

If someone wants to take drugs then fine, I don't care if they mess up their minds and their bodies, but don't do it and pretend you are a super hero and  lessen the accomplishments of others who are talented and worked hard to get where they are.

I don't understand why a talented athlete would take drugs, well, I do, it's money and power. But, truly, most get into the sport for the love of it I would guess. I connect athleticism with health and happiness. I connect drugs with pain and illness. I just shake my head in wonder at the whole mess!

I was listening to a podcast today in the gym while I was on the stairmill, it's called "Big Nation Radio" and says it is male oriented talk...hmmm oh well, I find it interesting.

This episode was "Who's on steroid's?" and they said it is a given that all professional bodybuilders and wrestlers are without a doubt. I agree, but oh so many more are. Baseball, Football, Hockey.

So what is the big deal anyway? It all started in 2001 when they raided BALCO (Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative) after receiving tips that Victor Conte, the founder had been supplying  professional athletes with undetectable designer drugs. It all snowballed after that. They searched the home of Bond's trainer, Greg Anderson. An investigation begins and several athletes are implicated and linked to the lab.

Conte, among others is indicted by a grand jury charged with running a steroid distribution ring. Conte and Anderson plead guilty to felony charges of distributing steroids and money laundering.

Bonds is on trial for three counts of lying under oath in 2003 about using steroids  and one count of obstructing justice through the same testimony.

In 2006, Anderson, among others, is subpoenaed to testify before a federal grand jury investigating whether Bonds committed perjury by lying under oath in 2003.

Anderson is found in contempt of court and imprisoned for refusing to testify.

In the mean time, Bonds continued to break records, his face got rounder, his entire body changed, just look at the pictures.

In 2009 a U.S. District Judge bared the government from using evidence against Bonds including 2 positive steroid tests taken between 2000 and 2001. Although there is rumored to be one additional positive test that will be allowed as evidence, and this was administered by Major League Baseball in 2003

March 17, 2011, prospective jurors show up to fill out the Barry Bonds Juror Questionnaire

So, I shall be following the trial and reading it everyday in the paper, but for a start, I thought you may be interested in looking at the 22 page questionnaire above that all of the jurors had to complete!

I used to buy ZMA from BALCO and it drove David nuts. He said "They make steroids!" and I told him "Yes, but Conte also makes the best ZMA!"

I use a meal replacement made by Bill Romanowski, he was also rumored to have been a steroid user, but that doesn't mean his products are all tainted. I have been tested, and am tested annually, so I have the utmost confidence in my supplements.

I will be busy reading, but you will still never find me in the gym reading like so many others are while they "work out".


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment