Thursday, June 21, 2012

Turkey Chili

I have posted about this before but I think people tend to think cooking is a science and very specific, it is not. Baking, on the other hand is.

I love food in bowls, odd huh?  I was in the mood for some hot and spicy chili so I decided to make turkey chili again. I bought the ground turkey breast and then search in the fridge for the rest of the ingredients, I will use what I have!




I also love cooking, and spend hours every week making foods for the rest of the week. David is acting as the photographer today. He shouts "How about a lat spread while you stir!" LOL!

 

So what did I do this time? I sauteed red and white onion in olive oil (I had both onions), along with lots of chopped garlic. I then added about a pound and a half of ground turkey breast and cooked it till it was no longer pink. I then added lots of vegetables. I will not add beans to this so it is important to have vegetables as a carbohydrate. I have added lots of chopped purple cabbage, celery, carrots, fresh and pickled jalapenos, a Serrano chile.

The spice today were my new Spanish Smoked Chorizo rub, red pepper flakes, cayenne and a small amount of dried chipotle chile powder, I like it spicy! Then three 14 ounce cans of chopped tomatoes, a fresh tomato (it was about to die) and 16 ounces chicken stock.

I let it simmer away until it was the thickness I wanted and then package it up and freeze some, leave some in the fridge.



I got so excited I ate most before I took the picture, but I have topped it with fresh avocado and Greek yogurt. I then splash on Tabasco!



4 comments:

  1. Looks great! How come no beans? Aren't they good protein?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil I never add beans. I don;t typically eat starch after say...10 or 11 am, so I can eat this anytime I want. If I decide I do want beans, I can add them to the portion I am eating. Plus right now I am experimenting with eliminating all starches from my diet, so I am relying on vegetables as my carbs. i am on week 1 1/2 and so far have eaten one small taco (2 really small corn tortillas) and 2 breaded shrimp, I am going out Saturday and Sunday and will surely have some then too.

      I want to see how I feel, how I look, and what my energy levels are. So far, haven't noticed any changes...I guess its a bit soon!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this looks so good! I shall make it myself (again!) once we have our kitchen back. Our roof was rotten and there are workers in there every day, and the place is filled with scaffolding, etc., so it's been four days already that we are kitchen-less. What a disaster! Hard to eat well when you can't cook at all or even heat anything up.

    Is the starchless thing part of the paleo diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek, Yes the "Paleo" would be no beans..but I am still not there yet and not sure if I want to be. I have only eaten starch 4 times in two weeks, so Is not a huge deal, but I really need to go longer with none to see how I feel. Unlike most people though, I haven't been even eating potatoes...so NO starch! Most people eating this way eat potatoes...

      Delete