Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Update on The Diet



It's been a month- a month since I decided I would cut starches. Now let's qualify that - I admitted that I would not be a Nazi about it, and I wasn't. In fact, I ate a few things off the diet each week. But for the last two and a half weeks - nada.


No rice, no potatoes, no bread (I rarely eat bread anyway), no pasta, no sweet potatoes, no beans, no nothing! (Wait- once David and Cooper got on my butt about not trying something David made- a potato. So Cooper says "Just stick it in your mouth and taste it and spit it out!!) See what my challenges are???


So how do I feel? I feel BIG. I know I am not fat, but I have gained weight, I lost three then gained two, so a net loss of one, but I  feel "large". Why? I have been having a hell of a time!


Have I ever told you how much I like to eat?

Let's back up a bit. Why did I start this? What were (are) my goals? What are my future plans?


I'm really not quite sure and that is where I have failed myself. If you read into my Monday Morning Motivation, it told it all. I feel like I failed at my experiment. I jumped into this without properly educating myself and without having a well thought out plan. It's OK though, I have another plan, but first a bit of background.


So here's the deal. I watch all the "Paleo" people eat bacon, and butter, and ribs, and avocado, and cheese. Yum. Did I say Yum? Yum!


So that's what I did. Except one teeny tiny problem. I forgot that all of these people I know are not Figure Competitors.  Oops!


So, while I am sure I could eat the same "diet", I still need to watch my calories! One small item I overlooked. LOL Jokes' on me!


So a net loss of 1 pound is not a big deal, and I could be back down lower in a couple days, but still, I am already bigger than usual so combine 7 days a week of heavy weight training (three of those days are twice a day lifting), with unlimited food and voila! I could easily become one Big Mama!


Stomach still looks decent but I have this thing, this obsession with being lean. I want to have big muscles and be lean and not diet...sounds like what everyone wants! So why should I be any different?



I never really ate much starch anyway. I would usually eat it twice a day. In the morning after training I would have sweet potato or oatmeal, or maybe a piece of very heavy spelt toast. Then at 10:00 am I would have 4 ounces brown rice or sweet potato. That's it, nothing after. I have never been a bread freak, I don't snack, it hasn't been a challenge. I thought I could just eat copious amount of meat though, and that was a silly mistake. 

I need to educate myself. I am very smart when it comes to fat loss, I can get so lean it frightens people, so why am I even playing around with my diet? I just want to do what is best for my body. Oh, I want to enjoy myself too. You know the song by Cindi Lauper?

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

I have been reading this book and enjoying it quite a bit ( it's the kind of stuff I like to read about- I guess it might be boring for many folks).

I am not insulin resistant, that's obvious. I have no cholesterol problems, no weight issues, no diabetes, no heart concerns. I am healthy. I want to stay that way, so I may not  really need to eliminate anything from my diet, maybe I just need to better understand the physiological effects so I make the best choices. 

I already live low-carb. I may not need to do much.



So on Monday when I went to see Roy I was feeling, let's just say rather large. I told him and he agreed, yes, I am bigger, I have gained muscle and fat. Kinda hard to gain only muscle, not unheard of but really, if it were easy don't you think more people would be doing it?


I decided I really need to track my food again, I hadn't been at all. I logged into my FitDay account (I hadn't used it since 2009, I always used paper logs), and I tracked my food for the day. It was a typical day, but I know that I ate less because I actually weighed it out. I hadn't been, that was my biggest downfall. I was hungry all day. I usually am since I get up at 4:00 am even on my days off, so I have a long day to stretch out the food. My calories were fine, fairly low. Carbs were low, and really only as high as they were since I eat a small banana in my whey drink immediately following lifting. No starch.  


So what's the plan now? I am going to stay in this "diet", so I will be avoiding starches most of the time. I will be weighing out my food again, and avoiding high fat meats and choosing the leaner cuts just as I used to. I will supplement with healthy fats such as avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, CLA, Fish oil, almonds (and other nuts). 


I will keep up my journal and I will finish this book and read a few more! The food below represents a typical day, and I trained twice on this day. 5:00 am to 6:15 am (at Gold's Gym on my own) and then 5:30 pm to 6:50 pm (with Roy). I was off so I took a 45 minute nap in the middle of the day too!



Here is what I ate for the day:


Protein 42%
Fat 41%
Carbs 17%


Food Name
Amount
Unit
Cals
Fat (g)
Carbs (g)
Prot (g)
Total
1,881
91.6
90.7
207.4

1
serving
150
2.0
9.0
24.0

1
cup
84
0.3
1.2
17.7

1
jumbo
93
6.5
0.5
8.2

0.5
cup, sliced
14
0.0
3.5
0.6

1
serving
5
0.0
1.0
0.0

3
mug (8 fl oz)
8
0.1
0.3
0.8

1
serving
31
15.0
1.3
0.0

2
cup
135
7.6
16.6
3.8

5
oz
430
28.6
0.0
40.3

4
oz, boneless, cooked
127
1.4
0.0
26.4

1
cup
69
4.2
7.8
1.6

0.5
cup
20
0.2
4.8
0.9

15
almond
104
9.1
3.6
3.8

1
serving
172
0.8
9.0
37.5

1
small (6" to 6-7/8" long)
90
0.3
23.1
1.1

5
oz
204
3.3
1.8
39.1

2
oz
7
0.1
1.2
0.3

3
serving
72
7.5
0.0
0.0

2
oz
17
0.1
4.3
0.3

1
cup, shredded or chopped
9
0.1
1.8
0.8

0.33
tablespoon
39
4.5
0.0
0.0
Total
1,881
91.6
90.7
207.4