Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Update on The Diet



It's been a month- a month since I decided I would cut starches. Now let's qualify that - I admitted that I would not be a Nazi about it, and I wasn't. In fact, I ate a few things off the diet each week. But for the last two and a half weeks - nada.


No rice, no potatoes, no bread (I rarely eat bread anyway), no pasta, no sweet potatoes, no beans, no nothing! (Wait- once David and Cooper got on my butt about not trying something David made- a potato. So Cooper says "Just stick it in your mouth and taste it and spit it out!!) See what my challenges are???


So how do I feel? I feel BIG. I know I am not fat, but I have gained weight, I lost three then gained two, so a net loss of one, but I  feel "large". Why? I have been having a hell of a time!


Have I ever told you how much I like to eat?

Let's back up a bit. Why did I start this? What were (are) my goals? What are my future plans?


I'm really not quite sure and that is where I have failed myself. If you read into my Monday Morning Motivation, it told it all. I feel like I failed at my experiment. I jumped into this without properly educating myself and without having a well thought out plan. It's OK though, I have another plan, but first a bit of background.


So here's the deal. I watch all the "Paleo" people eat bacon, and butter, and ribs, and avocado, and cheese. Yum. Did I say Yum? Yum!


So that's what I did. Except one teeny tiny problem. I forgot that all of these people I know are not Figure Competitors.  Oops!


So, while I am sure I could eat the same "diet", I still need to watch my calories! One small item I overlooked. LOL Jokes' on me!


So a net loss of 1 pound is not a big deal, and I could be back down lower in a couple days, but still, I am already bigger than usual so combine 7 days a week of heavy weight training (three of those days are twice a day lifting), with unlimited food and voila! I could easily become one Big Mama!


Stomach still looks decent but I have this thing, this obsession with being lean. I want to have big muscles and be lean and not diet...sounds like what everyone wants! So why should I be any different?



I never really ate much starch anyway. I would usually eat it twice a day. In the morning after training I would have sweet potato or oatmeal, or maybe a piece of very heavy spelt toast. Then at 10:00 am I would have 4 ounces brown rice or sweet potato. That's it, nothing after. I have never been a bread freak, I don't snack, it hasn't been a challenge. I thought I could just eat copious amount of meat though, and that was a silly mistake. 

I need to educate myself. I am very smart when it comes to fat loss, I can get so lean it frightens people, so why am I even playing around with my diet? I just want to do what is best for my body. Oh, I want to enjoy myself too. You know the song by Cindi Lauper?

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

I have been reading this book and enjoying it quite a bit ( it's the kind of stuff I like to read about- I guess it might be boring for many folks).

I am not insulin resistant, that's obvious. I have no cholesterol problems, no weight issues, no diabetes, no heart concerns. I am healthy. I want to stay that way, so I may not  really need to eliminate anything from my diet, maybe I just need to better understand the physiological effects so I make the best choices. 

I already live low-carb. I may not need to do much.



So on Monday when I went to see Roy I was feeling, let's just say rather large. I told him and he agreed, yes, I am bigger, I have gained muscle and fat. Kinda hard to gain only muscle, not unheard of but really, if it were easy don't you think more people would be doing it?


I decided I really need to track my food again, I hadn't been at all. I logged into my FitDay account (I hadn't used it since 2009, I always used paper logs), and I tracked my food for the day. It was a typical day, but I know that I ate less because I actually weighed it out. I hadn't been, that was my biggest downfall. I was hungry all day. I usually am since I get up at 4:00 am even on my days off, so I have a long day to stretch out the food. My calories were fine, fairly low. Carbs were low, and really only as high as they were since I eat a small banana in my whey drink immediately following lifting. No starch.  


So what's the plan now? I am going to stay in this "diet", so I will be avoiding starches most of the time. I will be weighing out my food again, and avoiding high fat meats and choosing the leaner cuts just as I used to. I will supplement with healthy fats such as avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, CLA, Fish oil, almonds (and other nuts). 


I will keep up my journal and I will finish this book and read a few more! The food below represents a typical day, and I trained twice on this day. 5:00 am to 6:15 am (at Gold's Gym on my own) and then 5:30 pm to 6:50 pm (with Roy). I was off so I took a 45 minute nap in the middle of the day too!



Here is what I ate for the day:


Protein 42%
Fat 41%
Carbs 17%


Food Name
Amount
Unit
Cals
Fat (g)
Carbs (g)
Prot (g)
Total
1,881
91.6
90.7
207.4

1
serving
150
2.0
9.0
24.0

1
cup
84
0.3
1.2
17.7

1
jumbo
93
6.5
0.5
8.2

0.5
cup, sliced
14
0.0
3.5
0.6

1
serving
5
0.0
1.0
0.0

3
mug (8 fl oz)
8
0.1
0.3
0.8

1
serving
31
15.0
1.3
0.0

2
cup
135
7.6
16.6
3.8

5
oz
430
28.6
0.0
40.3

4
oz, boneless, cooked
127
1.4
0.0
26.4

1
cup
69
4.2
7.8
1.6

0.5
cup
20
0.2
4.8
0.9

15
almond
104
9.1
3.6
3.8

1
serving
172
0.8
9.0
37.5

1
small (6" to 6-7/8" long)
90
0.3
23.1
1.1

5
oz
204
3.3
1.8
39.1

2
oz
7
0.1
1.2
0.3

3
serving
72
7.5
0.0
0.0

2
oz
17
0.1
4.3
0.3

1
cup, shredded or chopped
9
0.1
1.8
0.8

0.33
tablespoon
39
4.5
0.0
0.0
Total
1,881
91.6
90.7
207.4





2 comments:

  1. Who knew "Jumbo" was a unit? ;) I'll have to use that word more often. Usually it's ginormous but I need to mix it up and keep 'em guessing.

    Interesting to see the changes. I'm still no dairy, no starch (maybe a slip once or twice), no nut butters, and no sweeteners (even honey or agave). Still IF. But I've stopped with FitDay, although I feel I may need to go back--it kept me more on track no matter how slow and irritating it was to me.

    Can't wait to see where this new chapter will take you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha it's one jumbo egg silly...I like em big! I like ginormous better though! Good for you on the diet, I really cannot imagine that, its strict!. But you have a goal- and it's never easy to get there, you will be happy you did it though!

    I am glad I am tracking it, I was eating way too much! Even my bra tops are tight. I think all the heavy lifting just really took advantage of the food!

    ReplyDelete