Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sometimes It's OK to Skip Training

I didn't go to the gym on Wednesday, it's a vary rare occasion for me to skip training. I have to have a reason, a real good reason. Something like "oh, I'm tired" doesn't work well around me, nor does "I stayed up late drinking too much". So, I always end up going to the gym!

The point I am trying to make is you really need to suck it up and decide if you want to look good or just talk about it. If you actually want to look good, you need to go to the gym regularly and stop with the excuses.

But, well Wednesday I was a little indisposed, as you can see above. I had to have some routine work done, just to make sure I am as hot and healthy as I look (and I am). I still had a great sense of humor, I was flipping David off with my oxygen reader finger! LOL!

I couldn't eat for about 30 hours, which meant Tuesday I had breakfast and then only broth the remainder of the day ....for someone who eats 25 ounces of fish, meat and eggs a day, this was not good, not good at all. But what a breakfast I had! Take a look at what David made for me:

It all had to fit into my glass food container, so it's cut odd, but it was a big, fat omelet with cheese, chives and avocado, a 1/3 pound grass fed burger patty and a thick slice of spelt toast which was coated later in peanut butter.

Then after this, nothing. And the night too. Except broth and that is not food in my book! I don't do well without food.

Wednesday up at 4am to prepare and then into the Surgical Center by 8am. They gave me a few drugs, one was Fentanyl. I recall giving this to my mother and to my friend Emily when they were in the last stages of life, it's a very powerful drug. It works fast though, it is 100 times stronger than morphine!

When all was said and done, they sent me home and they told me not to drink alcohol, not to drive and not to operate heavy machinery. I was home and a little bored, so I wanted some tuna now that I could eat, and since I should not be operating heavy machinery, I decided to open the can with a spoon.

Hmmm, maybe the drugs took longer to wear off than I thought?

(Email readers will need to navigate directly to the blog to view this video.)

After this failure, I DROVE to the grocery store, then went out to dinner with David and had a glass of WINE!

Thursday I will be at my usual 4am and will go to Gold's, then I train with Roy at night, since we had to skip Wednesday. I am super excited as the hamstring is not bothering me and I pushed hard on Monday. I am on my way to being close to fully recovered. 

If you want to see how to really open a can with a spoon, here is the video that got me started. Think I will give it a try again.


  1. wow cool!

    p.s. I've been meaning to ask you this - since you prepared your food ahead of time a lot, how do you keep your meat from getting too dry or rubbery when you reheat it in the microwave? I almost can't even swallow chicken that has been reheated :(

    1. Charlotte- I usually bake it (on the bone with skin), this seems to keep it moister, then I make sure it is JUST cooked past pink, and then I don't reheat it long. Or eat it room temperature...

  2. Well, maybe you have to be talking in Tagalog while doing it (did you notice how he said "lata" for can and "cuchara" for spoon at the beginning?), or maybe it only works with condensed milk and not with tuna, or maybe you did it wrong, you big dork!

    1. Yes it is a funny video- I shall try again this weekend and I will speak another language while doing it.