Friday, November 18, 2011

Kung Pao Chicken

This is another recipe from the Clean Eating magazine "Comfort Foods" and I of course altered it.  David was at a meeting and he doesn't care for Chinese much, so that's what I made. You know: When the cats away the mice will play...


I increased the greens and spices and I eliminated the rice (I had it with Romano beans instead), although my son had it with rice. 


Delish!


Cooper loved it! I went to bed before David came home, but when I woke up at 4:00 a.m. he rolled over and said "that Kung Pao Chicken was delicious!" and he fell back to sleep.


David liked this because it was light and fresh, it didn't have a thick coating of a sauce, it had more of a light meat jus. This takes less than a half hour from start to finish. If you are having rice, that will take longer than anything else to cook! I will be making this again soon.


(This served three of us)


12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup raw, unsalted peanuts
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsps low sodium soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsps grated ginger

First chop and mince your ingredients as it will cook very quickly. Heat the oil in a skillet or wok over medium high heat and add pepper flakes, chicken and peanuts, cook 5 minutes stirring frequently.

Posted by Picasa

Stir in 1/4 cup water, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, green onions and vinegar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.

Done!

Serve over rice or along side vegetables of your choice.