Sunday, May 15, 2011

German Volume Training



What a back huh? I think it shall be a bit sore tomorrow too...Today was day two with Roy, my new trainer, owner of BodyComp Personal Training Gym

I had so much fun. I love weight training, I love new things, I love adventures.  I told Roy I wanted to gain mass, I want muscles. I know a lot of people look at me and think I already have them, but I want bigger, more defined muscles.  Not "bodybuilder" type, I don't care for that look, nor do I want to take the drugs that so many of them do.

I want to lift and lift heavy. I want to be better than ever, and to me, "better than ever" means strong, lean, ripped. 

I can do it and I WILL do it, there is no doubt in my mind.

I have Charles Poliquin's Book called German Body Comp Program and that's what it's all about. High volume, lots of Time Under Tension. Look at all my tabs on the side marking important spots!


I see so many people in the gym, mainly men who swing weights around, or their bodies, they really aren't doing much as far as altering the composition of their bodies.

You really need to ensure the muscle is under tension, that's why the eccentric is so important. The lowering part of the "lift". It takes effort to lift but more effort to lower that same weight (even your body weight) in a slow, controlled manner. I was taught this a long, long time ago.

Swinging is fine for sledgehammers, Indian Clubs and ......well, you know.

Fridays are even more spectacular because I get off work at 11:30 so I can get to Roy's by 12:00 and change.

Today he was still testing, getting to learn what I can and cannot do. I am not sure if he is impressed or not, but that's not the point as long as I am impressed with my own accomplishments.

We (and I use the term quite loosely) did dips and chin ups, super set them. That's almost all of it. Set after set after set. Then more, I lost count.

Followed by something he came up with and it is going to kill my quads I know, I can feel it already. These I would not have done on my own, at least not after the first set, that's how brutal they were (don't you love it!?)

Foam wedges under my feet to elevate the heels and I did half squats, lowered all the way down, very slowly, "ass to ground" would be the most polite way to say it, then up, but only half way, then back down. For a minute which doesn't seem like much, but just try it.

Oh and make sure you are clutching a 15 pound med ball to your chest and staying upright and do at least 4 sets, maybe 5.

Let me know how it all works out will you?

Just when I thought we were finished we decided we would pull the Sled Dawg Elite by the big 20 foot long, 3" diameter rope and then push the sled back. Just to start all over again.


I have no idea how much the thing weighs, but it had a 45 pound plate on it, I was pulling it towards me by the huge, white thick rope and once it got to me, I bent over like this guy and pushed it back, Roy said my rest was walking back to the end of the rope. After the first set I heard him sneak a plate on it and I called him on it. "It's only 5 pounds he said", and it made a big difference, he didn't even try to sneak on the next plate, he just plopped it on and smiled.

At one point he had a grin on his face and said "I need to get a video of you doing this on my website! Your arms have veins popped out all over them as you pull the rope!"

I am totally into it, film away I say! 

Did I tell you he has a huge truck tire in the corner too? Can't wait to do something with that!

We talked a bit about our plan for next week, deadlifts! I showed him my straps from IronMind, he liked them, everyone does.

I walked out to my car to load up on some simple carbs and a little protein; BCAA's, Vanadyl Sulfate, Kre-Alkalyn (my usual after training supplements).

I felt like I had ingested drugs (and I don't mean the supps I just took, I mean mind altering psychotics) I felt wonderful, alive, healthy, strong, accomplished.

And then went grocery shopping, what a woman!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I *love* your posts! I feel like you're speaking to me. :) Lol. My list of reading and exploration is always growing and most of it comes from you. I love it! Hahaha. Thanks, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am speaking to you! I know you would love this type of stuff my buff Crossfitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Buff" is too generous...unless you are speaking to my traps and even those need work. ;)

    I read every word. LOL! I *LOVE* IT, Mama!

    ReplyDelete