Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Vietnamese Glazed Tilapia


Posted by Picasa


One of my favorite things to eat and it is super healthy too! This is a recipe from a cooking magazine (I think it was Bon Appetit) and is intended for thin pork chops. While pork chops are great prepared this way, I don't eat them often as they aren't the best choice of protein. My family does like them though, so I will prepare a double batch of this marinade, in one container I will marinade tilapia or turkey cutlets for myself, and in the other, thin beef steaks or pork chops for the boys.


TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN PLUS OVERNIGHT MARINATING

SERVES: 4
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium shallots, minced
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
16 ounces tilapia or
8 thin beef steaks or center-cut pork loin chops
Salt
1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts (optional)


In a large bowl, combine the vegetable oil with the honey, fish sauce, garlic, shallots and pepper. Add the tilapia (or beef steaks), turn to coat thoroughly with the marinade and refrigerate overnight.

Tilapia:

If only cooking a small portion of this, for one or two people, you an microwave it. Place the tilapia in a shallow glass dish, pour some of the marinade over and add a half cup water. Cover with domed lid, microwave until cooked through, approximately 4 to 6 minutes (depending on amount of fish cooked at one time).

If cooking all of this, I suggest placing the fish, along with most of the marinade and one to one and a half cups water into a large skillet, simmer until fish is cooked though and firm, about 5 minutes.

Serve the fish on top of a bed or rice and steamed vegetables, and then scatter the peanuts on top. Pour a bit of the cooking liquid over for moistness.

Beef, pork or turkey cutlets:

Light a grill. Lightly season the meat with salt. Brush the grill with oil and cook the meat over very high heat until nicely charred and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side (less for turkey cutlets). Scatter the peanuts on top and serve right away with rice and vegetables.

I am available for hugs and kisses once you try this; I guarantee it will be one of your favorites. You can marinade several batches, then portion them out and place into the freezer for a very quick meal when you have no time to prepare anything. I will always have marinated portions of tilapia already measured out in the proper weight. If I can remember, I take one out and leave it in the refrigerator in a bowl to thaw while I am at work. If I forget, it can still be microwaved straight from the freezer, although I think it tends to cook better if thawed.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. This is another recipe I would love to try, but I don't think we have tilapia here in Catalonia. What other fish do you think it would work well with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made a mistake. Any white fish will be great and I think that Monkfish (Rape in Spanish) would be very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kristy:

    I made this dish today for lunch, after marinating it all night long. I made it with panga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panga), since I couldn't find tilapia here. We loved it. Carlos too, and you know he is difficult to please! We had it with mongetes seques and a simple green salad. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete