Saturday, July 24, 2010

What Motivates You?

 
Posted by Picasa


We are all motivated differently, but it seems quite evident me that motivation is really an internalized function. I think if you ask people who are successful and appear to be motivated, they may not be able to always give you a specific answer about just what does motivate them other than to be the best they can be. They have a drive, a need, a passion that only they can fulfill.

People ask me how I can keep getting up early every single day to train, don't I get tired of it? No, I don't. I live to train, I love to train, I feel most alive when I am in the weight room lifting weights. I am often oblivious to those around me when I am there.

I talked to SC the other day, he was my trainer for 3 1/2 years. Due to some logistical issues, we had to stop, but I hope to start up again soon with him. SC called to tell me about his vacation, we hadn't spoken in about 3 weeks.

It was great to talk with him, I told him about my competition, he told me about his trip. I went to the gym the next morning and as soon as I loaded the plates on the squat rack, I thought of him and I added more!

Just talking with him on the phone motivated me. When I was training with him, my weights went up every single week. You are not progressing if you are doing the same thing over and over, and I was doing that to myself. I knew I could do better and I knew that if I was lifting with him, I would be lifting more.

Find someone that motivates you.

I do get a great deal of motivation from reading, reading of others successes, failures and attempts. I have included some quotes here that motivated me, hopefully they may inspire you.

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”
– Hellen Keller

“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

“We don’t see the things the way they are. We see things the way WE are.”
- Talmund

“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
- Dr Wayne Dyer

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
- Thomas A Edison

“Your attitude, not your aptitude, determines your altitude.”
- Zig Ziglar

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
- Winston Churchill

“Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”
- Muhammad Ali

“Efficiency is doing things right. Effectiveness is doing the right things.”
- Peter Drucker

“Success is what you attract by the person you become.”
- Jim Rohn

“It isn’t what the book costs. It’s what it will cost you if you don’t read it.”
- Jim Rohn

And last, but not least:

">

1 comment:

  1. That's right, Lance! I'll give them froggoolies a Manahattan raspberry from you when I'm there next week!

    ReplyDelete