Saturday, December 8, 2012

Advice for Lifting, Living and Loving





I was home on Friday, I leave work at 11:30 just to go train with Roy. I know I am very fortunate that I am allowed to do this, and I look forward to it every week. For some reason, this one particular day makes me feel alive, free, and lucky to just be me. 

It's a bit trickier when you work and compete. I mean, you need to fit two lives into one right? So not only do I need to be "the Assistant Director" and clean and shop and commute, I have to be the "Physique Competitor" and train and shop and prepare and train and train and train.

Fridays, I can do it all! I am off early so I can train without being rushed or feeling drained, then I do my grocery shopping and take my time. I also meet my posing coach, Kristy Enos  every other week. Having this one half day is a miracle every single week.

Today I was reflecting. I received a couple emails, both of which made me feel great. One was from a friend from my old gym I had not seen in a about a year - she had heard I was looking big and great - and checked out my blog and had to send me an email saying that "I looked awesome ". The other was from a reader, one I had never met or corresponded with before. She said that whenever she is feeling in a rut, my pictures and blog re-inspire her. 


These two small gestures made a big impact on me.

I often come across as a hard nosed, no nonsense person. But I am not. I am a very positive and focused individual. Sometimes a bit too focused and that may make me seem......cold.

As my husband David says about me: "Stay out of her way, or you will get run over!"

Today I was thinking about my life, and how wonderful things have been in my 51 years. I thought I would share some of the thoughts that popped into my head as I put away groceries and started dinner, things that I think have made me the successful person that I am.


Life Advice from Kristy

(please share this if you feel it is appropriate!)


If you get cold at the gym, wear a hat. (yup, I wear this and it keeps me warm!)




One slice of cheesecake will not make you fat.

If you have a nose piercing, and you cry, tears will fill the hole.

Chocolate tastes better immediately after a heavy lifting session.

Dancing makes everything better.

Laugh.

Change the music on your play list every week.

Friends can be near or far.

Don't be afraid to be yourself and love yourself for who you are.

Life is short, do fun things. Clean the house later, or better yet, let someone clean it later for you.

Squats make your butt look big (it's a good thing).

Give gifts, small ones, especially for no reason.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

It's a good thing to be naked.

A smile makes everyone around you feel good.

Exercise every day.

Laugh at yourself, and be OK with it.

Eat real food, but enjoy the fake stuff once in a while.

Do things that make your heart race and scare you a little.

Learn to cook what you like and how you like it.

A woman belongs in the weight room.

Massage helps everything feel better.

Wear bright colors.


There really are no rules in life, but it's all a better world if you go out of your way to help people and don't hurt others.

Routine is essential for success. If your routine is "no routine" and that works for you, keep it up.

Cardio sucks.

Flannel in the winter, cotton in the summer (on the bed).

A hot shower works wonders.

Lift weights.

Wash your face every night, without fail.

Strut. It makes people wonder what the hell you have been up to.



Don't cover up your body, there is nothing more beautiful in all the world.

Life only gets better and better every year.

Pay people compliments, with a smile, it will make their day.

Lift heavier weights.

Say "thank you" even to people for things they were supposed to do.

Find your passion; and feed it daily.

Believe in yourself; if you don't, no one else will.

Nothing should be dead serious, even in death we should celebrate life.

Then lift heavier weights yet again.

Thanks for reading; You are one hot number!; You look wonderful today!










11 comments:

  1. Hi, I follow your blog religiously and have always been too lazy to comment. You look incredible! I still can't believe how much muscle you have put on since your last competition. You are going to mow down the competition in Physique. I use you as inspiration when I lift at the gym. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot tell you, or even express how much this means to me! You obviously know how hard I work, and how it's a struggle to grow (in the right way) and how it's so easy to have a distorted body image and second guess myself.

      I read this as I was standing in a wine tasting room with my husband, I told him that this is what keeps me going when I am tired and feeling like it's so much work.

      Be strong and lift heavy! You can do it!

      Thank you....thank you...

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't want any other sister! Well, except the ones I have...
    :·)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I would not want any other brother. Except maybe one closer.....David and I just might have to make a short trip to paris this summer...we will be talking about it. It would be great to see you.

      Delete
    2. Well, if I am not mistaken the apartment is all mine this summer (or at least part of it), as my housemate will be with her daughter in the south of France. We should talk more about it, because if we time it right, you could come and we could all just stay here in the apartment (my bed is big enough for two, and there's a fold-out bed in the living room, for two more).

      Delete
  3. Dancing really does make everything better and I love the idea to change the music playlist once a week...I really don't do that like I should.

    I really love this whole list. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn- I dance in the gym...sort of my warm up and I use a box and do fast step ups and then a bit of dancing, makes me feel good and provides entertainment! I always refresh my playlist, even if its just moving old songs to the top, it is really a necessity to keep me motivated!

      Thanks!!!!

      Delete
  4. I love this post! So true and so inspiring! I use your blog for motivation and inspiration and you never let me down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie-

      It all came from my heart! I am excited to hear that I am an inspiration to you and others, it REALLY keeps me going, ad so do your emails and comments!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian- I guess you can tell when things come from the heart huh?

      Delete